Saturday, February 21, 2009

Save our world.

Back when I was young, I lived in a normal family. During the weekends, my parents and I would normally go to movies, go for a short jungle trekking trip or visit some friends. Besides that I also played a lot of badminton, tennis and squash. I had a pair of shoes for each sport; every time the soles of the shoe came out, my dad would normally bring my shoe to the cobbler to get it fixed. And it would cost around $4, compared to buying a new pair of shoes $80.

Now, whenever there’s a problem with my shoe; instead of sending the shoe to the cobbler to get it fixed. My dad will just give me money to get a new pair. To a certain degree, I know that I have been spoiled by my parents. For instance, I got a $500 mobile phone; after using the phone for a year, I accidentally drop it and the screen cracks. I could have fixed the screen for $90; instead my parents got me a brand new one. And this isn’t happening to just me, but to almost everyone around me. I’m not sure about how things are in America, but this is how things are back home. I would like to hear your comments.

So my point is, if we have the wealth and capability. When something is broken, and it can fixed at a reasonably cost; should we fix it or get a new one. For instance the shoe, I asked my dad why he didn’t send it to the cobbler. Back home it’s very difficult to find a shoe cobbler. That’s one of the main reasons why he just gives money to buy a new pair. In terms of opportunity cost, time used to find a shoe cobbler, could be used to earn more money. Whenever we see it as a wise thing to save money on something that can be repaired, we shouldn’t waste that money. This way we can save the environment as well as save that money for a rainy day.

2 comments:

  1. My parents are the type of people that put things off when they are broken and only get them fixed or buy new ones until absolutely necessary. Most of the time, they will just find a cheap replacement for things. For example, my cell phone dropped in a cup of milk so, i have to use my sister's old one until my birthday when my parents will give it to me as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawson! I did not know u had a blog! :D Hello! :D

    ReplyDelete